The Elves In The Hawthorn Hedge.

I don't know how true this story is; but I'll tell it to you anyway.
It was told to me by my Granddad when we were sitting on a bale of hay.
He said he was working in a field, trimming an hawthorn hedge,
when he came across a group of elves, tucking into hot meat and veg.
They were sitting on toadstools around an old tree stump that someone had sawn long ago,
and Granddad said he would not have seen them if he hadn't stooped real low.
They wore leaf green pointed hats and grass green clothes,
and mud brown boots that turned up at the toes.
'OH!' said Granddad, 'I'm sorry to disturb you; I didn't mean to be rude;
I hope I didn't startle you or put you off your food.'
The largest of them; who was six inches small
said,
'Jesus, tis al right; well not at all.  Would you like to join us in a bite to eat?
We have carrots and tatties, and freshly cooked meat.'
'Well, thank you,' said Granddad, 'that's kind of you.'
The elf pointed to a log and said, 'Pull up a pew.'
They gave him a bowl that had been carved out of wood,
with fancy designs on that Granddad thought were quite good.
And,  written in fancy writing were the words "Giant Size",
because Granddad was a giant when seen through their eyes.
They filled the bowl right up to the brim,
the gave him a fork and said, 'here you are; get stuck in.'
They told him they had seen him working hard every day,
trimming hedges and digging ditches in wet sticky clay.
'Have you?' asked Granddad, 'I didn't know;
I'd never have seen you if I hadn't stooped low.'
They said, 'there aren't many giants who know we are around,
as we wear green clothes and brown boots so we blend in with the ground.'
I've searched and I've searched in that hedgerow myself,
but I've never spotted even one elf.
Though hundreds of people say they've seen them too;
 plus there's an elf spotting club... So maybe it's true?





jackiehoskingpio.wordpress.com/2009/11/06/rhyming-poems-for-adults/

Popular posts from this blog

4 More of my Comedy Rhymes in 1 post.

7 of my comedy rhymes